In 1981, a symposium for women writers was held at the College of the Virgin Islands. This conference had an inspirational effect on the women who attended. They participated in a discussion of the need for proactive solutions to the growing problem of violence against women in the Territory. A group of the women who attended the symposium began meeting regularly as a result of that discussion, across their kitchen tables at first. They agreed to begin with the basics: address the issue of violence against women in our community. Volunteers started to going to hospitals and police stations to offer support to victims of rape.
WCSC’s Mission in the Community
The ideas of the group became a movement, which evolved into an organization dedicated to ending violence in the community, and assisting victims and survivors to heal and become empowered. We are a multicultural, tax-exempt nonprofit organization comprised of a large group of volunteers, members, and staff. All of our programs and services are free, confidential and available in English and Spanish.
Our mission has been expanded to include assistance to all crime victims, women, children and men, especially victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence and stalking:
- 24-hour-a-day crisis intervention, one-on-one counseling and other supportive services are available for victims
- Emergency shelter for women victims of domestic violence, rape, dating violence and stalking and their children is available at Sojourner House
- Counseling, transitional housing, life skills training and other supportive services to assist with healing are available to survivors
- Facilitated support groups for survivors of domestic violence, teen sexual assault and adult survivors of incest in secondary stages of healing are held weekly
- Gently-used clothing and household goods are provided free of charge to those in need through Closet To Closet, our thrift store
- Continuing education programs, including Project Link, our high school completion program, is available for adults and dropouts.