In 1981, a symposium for women writers was held at the College of the Virgin Islands. This conference had an inspirational effect on the women who attended. They participated in a discussion of the need for proactive solutions to the growing problem of violence against women in the Territory. A group of the women who attended the symposium began meeting regularly as a result of that discussion, across their kitchen tables at first. They agreed to begin with the basics: address the issue of violence against women in our community. Volunteers started to going to hospitals and police stations to offer support to victims of rape.
WCSC’s Mission in the Community
Their ideas became the basis for a movement, which evolved into an organization dedicated to ending violence in the community, and assisting victims and survivors to heal and become empowered. We are a multicultural, tax-exempt nonprofit organization comprised of a large group of volunteers, members, and staff. All of our services are free, confidential and available in English and Spanish.
Over the years our mission has been expanded to meet the changing needs of the community, including assistance to all crime victims, women, children and men, especially victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence and stalking:
- 24-hour-a-day crisis intervention, one-on-one counseling and other supportive services made available for victims
- Emergency shelter for women victims of domestic violence, rape, dating violence and stalking and their children at Sojourner House
- Therapeutic counseling, transitional housing, life skills training and other supportive services to assist survivors with healing
- Weekly support groups for survivors of domestic violence, teen sexual assault and adult survivors of incest in secondary stages of healing with trained facilitators
- Gently-used clothing and household goods provided free of charge to those in need through Closet To Closet, our thrift store
- Continuing education, including Project Link, our high school completion program for adults and dropouts.