Signs of Domestic Violence
Are You in an Abusive Relationship?
Abusers don’t show who they really are when you first meet. In the beginning the signs of manipulation and controlling behavior are very subtle and designed to make you think that he cares and wants to protect you.
Every relationship is different, so it is important to pay attention to how you feel about interactions with your partner when the behavior starts to change. Is your partner demanding or controlling you, your actions, your children, your family’s finances? Do you feel unsafe and afraid when you are with your partner? Are there cycles to the abusive behavior? Can you tell from the change in his mood or tone of his voice, etc., that you or the children are in danger? Please remember that none of this is your fault.
Help is available if you have been abused or are being abused in one or more of the following ways from your spouse, ex-spouse, lover, dating partner, or anyone:
- punching, shoving, slapping, biting, kicking, choking or hitting you
- abuses or threatens pets in order to hurt you
- rapes you, touches you or makes you have sex when you do not want to, puts you or wants you to be in sexual positions that you do not want to do or that are uncomfortable for you
- threatens to kidnap or hurt the children if you leave
- threatens to commit suicide if you leave
- throws objects at you
- locks you in or out of your home
- takes away your car keys or your money
- insults and drives away friends and family
- humiliates you in private and/or public
- insists on the way you should dress
- behaves in a jealous way or harasses you about imagined cheating
- shouts at you
- withholds approval, appreciation or affection as a form of punishment; never says anything nice
- keeps track of your electronic devices, takes your cellphone, tablet, etc., to check your online activities or location
- stalks you, shows up wherever you are, watches you silently, talks to you, yells at you
Call the Women’s Coalition of St. Croix at (340)773-9272 for help, 24-hours a day, or email us at email@example.com for information on our programs and services.