Avoiding a Bad Relationship
We hope the following tips give you a better understanding of how you can avoid a bad relationship. Accept responsibility and watch out for yourself.
- Make clear to your partner how you expect to be treated. Let your
- partner know you will not tolerate any kind of abuse.
- Be honest in your communications.
Avoid dangerous situations
- Avoid places where you’ll be alone until you get to know your partner.
- Double-date or hang-out together with other friends.
- Let someone know what your plans are for the evening.
Be in control
- Don’t be helpless or “in debt” to a dating partner.
- Have your own way to get home.
- Pay your own way.
- Don’t use alcohol or other drugs. These substances can severely hamper your ability to think clearly and act quickly if you find yourself in a dangerous situation.
Be careful – Think twice about going out with someone who:
- often puts down men or women with comments such as “Girls are so stupid” or “Guys are such jerks.”
- uses alcohol or other drugs
- enjoys pornography and looking at “dirty pictures.”
- wants to be in control of where you go, what you do, who you see, etc.
- gets angry and aggressive very easily.
- uses physical force (squeezing, pushing, etc.).
- drives recklessly especially with you in the car