Building a Healthy Relationship
Guidelines to Building A Healthy Relationship:
The following guidelines will help ensure a healthy relationship in any aspect of your life.
Love yourself before getting involved in a relationship with another person.
- Value yourself and know yourself.
- Know that you are lovable and capable.
- Be responsible for yourself.
Be honest with yourself and others. Express your feelings openly and truthfully.
- Communicate your needs.
- Admit when you’re wrong.
- Sometimes agree to disagree.
Maintain the freedom to be yourself.
- Have your own ideas, interest, goals and friendships.
- Value each other as friends and as individuals.
- Listen non-judgmentally.
- Be emotionally affirmative and understanding.
Be willing to trust and be trustworthy.
- Feel secure about your feelings for each other without jealousy or possessiveness.
- Be reliable.
- Share mutual goals.
Negotiate with each other on areas of disagreement.
- Mutually agree on fair distribution of responsibility.
- Accept change.
- Work together to resolve conflict.
Take your time in getting to know someone.
- Know your partner’s family background.