Prevention Tips for Women
- Say no as if you mean no; if you don’t mean no then don’t say it.
- Be clear, honest and consistent in your verbal communications about sexual desires.
- Trust your instincts. If you have any hesitations about a man, think carefully about dating him. Pay attention to situations that make you uncomfortable and think of ways to decrease potential problems.
- Be aware that nonverbal behaviors or actions may be interpreted differently than you intended. That DOES NOT mean it is your fault if you are assaulted.
- Avoid excessive use of alcohol and/or other drugs
Prevention Tips for Men
- Understand that forced sex is NEVER acceptable; it is against the law.
- Accept “no” as “no.” Don’t read other meanings into that word.
- Know the difference between desire and action. Being sexually aroused does not give you permission to force sex on another.
- Be responsible for your own sexual limits and actions; they are your responsibility.
- Realize that dating for a long time, spending money or previous sexual intercourse does not obligate a woman to have sex.
- Avoid excessive use of alcohol and/or other drugs.
- Don’t make assumptions. Just because your date welcomes some sexual contact doesn’t mean she wants other types of sexual contact.